Fire Departments

There are three fire departments located within the Town of Erwin:


Cooper Plains/Long Acres Fire Department

Cooper Plains/Long Acres Fire Department Logo

The Cooper Plains-Long Acres Fire Department was incorporated in 1953. It was started with one truck, a 1936 Ward LaFrance/Ford Pumper, and some portable pumps by the men who wanted to have a fire department.

The fire department building was completed in 1955. It was remodeled in 1974, and in 1985 the department built a second floor addition which includes a kitchen and community room, as well as adding fire bays. The current building has five truck bays and storage on the ground floor.

The department has the following equipment:

The fire district includes all of Long Acres and Coopers Plains, which is NYS Route 415 from the Village of Painted Post line to the Campbell Town line. In addition, the district includes Aurene; West Hill Road; Smith Hill Road; and the portions of Beeman Hollow Road, Erwin Hollow Road, and King Hill Road in the Town of Erwin. The department provides joint fire protection for the area, including Corning Incorporated’s Sullivan Park facility.

The fire department is a Volunteer Fire Department with an Insurance Services Organization (ISO) fire suppression rating of Class 4. The fire department is very proud of this rating because it is usually only earned by full-time professional city fire departments.

Besides fire suppression, the fire department provides BLS First Response for EMS calls, vehicle extrication, and has a large cache of cribbing and Rescue 42 stabilization struts for vehicle and building stabilization. Coopers Plains Fire Department is also a participating member of the Steuben Regional Technical Rescue Task Force for structural and trench collapse rescue.

The department has approximately 24 active volunteer firefighters, a five-person Board of Commissioners elected by the residents of the Fire District, and an active Ladies Auxiliary with approximately 15 members.

More information on membership can be found here: cplafdmembership@gmail.com



I-86 Ramp Closures 4/12
The New York State Department of Transportation has advised us that westbound traffic along Interstate 86 between Exit 45 (Downtown Corning) and Exit 43 (Painted Post), and Interstate 99 northbound to Interstate 86 westbound (Exit 12), in the Town of Erwin, will be closing beginning 10 p.m. on Friday, April 12th to accommodate sign replacement work. The ramp connecting Interstate 86 westbound traffic to Interstate 99 southbound will also be closed. The roadway is anticipated to reopen by the morning of Saturday, April 13th.
Detours will be posted, please be alert.
Hydrant Flushing in April
Post Image
Smith Hill Bridge is closed as of 3/25

Steuben County has released this notice: "The bridge on Smith Hill Road over the Cohocton River between Curtis Coopers Road and Dyke Road in the Hamlet of Coopers Plains and Town of Erwin, will be closed to all through traffic beginning March 25, 2024 until the completion of the bridge replacement project in November of 2024. The signed off-site detour will consist of Curtis Coopers Road, County Route 4, State Route 415 and Barringer Road."

Job opportunity!

TheTown of Erwin has a new job opportunity. Information including a recruitment brochure can be found at  https://www.pracademicpartners.com/current-recruitments-1.

 

 

Keep Your Pipes Safe!

Think before you flush.  Flushable wipes not so flushable.  How to keep your pipes safe.

Flushable wipes notice.pdf (erwinny.org)

Announcement

Following a nationwide search, the Town has appointed a Deputy Town Manager.  Melissa Greenthal will replace Rita McCarthy as Town Manager when Rita retires in July after 33 years of service to the Town.  More information will follow when Melissa joins the Town in February.

Parks and Volunteers.
Post Image
Parks and Volunteers

The Town of Erwin gratefully recognizes the contribution to the community of the efforts of “Reach the Valley” an outreach of Victory Highway Wesleyan Church for painting 8 picnic tables and 2 benches at Kinsella Park and to thank participants Sarah Jane Capper, Sue Strack, Meri Terwilliger, Gary Putnam, Andy Cole, and Doug Cole.

 

The Town of Erwin gratefully recognizes the contribution to the community of the efforts of Beartown Alliance Church for painting the playground equipment at Scudder Webber Park and to thank participants Kelly Adriance, Max Adriance, Erika Soltis, Becky Soltis, Faith Marmor, Dave Bretch, and Jenn Bretch.

Post Image
Bridge is clear, Rains have come!
Post Image
Post Image
Ames Plaza Update

The Applicant has submitted a revised concept site plan and has committed to no “overnight parking”, no one sleeping in vehicles. It was determined that the revised plan complies with the Town of Erwin Zoning. The next steps are that the applicant must complete a traffic study and submit a full preliminary engineering package to the Planning Board. The Planning Board schedule and agendas are posted on the Town’s website and Facebook page. A deadline for completing the demolition of the former Ames building has been established.

-